Most homeowners don’t know how to fix a leaky faucet because they don’t even know what to look for.
That’s why we came up with this handy troubleshooting guide. Just look for your type of faucet and the symptom it’s experiencing. We even provide you with the most likely causes and what you need to do to fix them.
What Causes a Leaky Faucet
Before we get to the troubleshooting guide, why do faucets leak? Are there some common causes? The quick answer is, “Yes!” Most leaks occur for the following reasons:
- Dirty parts. When a faucet part gets dirty, the water doesn’t flow out of the faucet spout smoothly. This causes the water to spray and sometimes leak or drip.
- Worn parts. When a water sealant (like plumber’s putty), washer, O-ring, or gasket wears out, a drip or leak is the result.
- Damaged parts. Eventually, important mechanical parts like cartridges and valve seats will break. Either because they’re well past their prime or because they were made from cheap materials. They can also break from accidental impact or too much force placed on them.
Troubleshooting Guide: How to Fix a Leaky Faucet
We don’t expect everyone to be able to fix a faucet leak based on the above guide. However, for the amateur plumber who enjoys DIY plumbing projects, this troubleshooting table will save time and money.
We’ve also added a Resources section below which provides links to step-by-step how-to articles that are relevant to fixing a leaky faucet.
- Why is my faucet leaking (5 real possibilities)
- How to clean a faucet aerator (with video!)
- How to use plumber’s putty (with video!)
- How to unclog a kitchen sink sprayer\
- Tips on choosing a new faucet (with checklist)
- Brushed nickel kitchen faucets shoppers guide
1-Tom-Plumber’s certified team of plumbers and drain technicians respond immediately to any emergency plumbing, drain cleaning, or water damage problem. We also handle the excavation of underground water lines and sewer main lines. Our immediate-response team is available every day and night of the year, even on holidays.